Thursday 8 September 2011

Levi Roots Fiery Ginger Beer

There seems to be a real Caribbean vibe to the site at the minute and as an honorary Jamaican, (I have a Bob Marley Best Of compilation, supported the reggae boys in World Cup 98 and throw acid in the faces of my enemies) I thought I’d get in on the action.


A few days ago P-Walk was non-fussed by Levi Roots’ Caribbean Crush and mentioned that the sauce monger had a new Ginger Beer out, and seeing as I have already reviewed a Scottish Ginger Beer this week I thought I’d see what ma Rasta brethren had to offer in comparison.
The first thing I have to mention is that I picked a 2 litre bottle of this for £1 at Poundland, lovely, lovely Poundland. I’m not sure if this is going to be the standard price when it rolls out across the nation or if it is just one of those crazy deals Poundworld seems to have a knack for negotiating, but at £1 for 2ls the pricing is a big plus point.

Packaging wise the bottle is well branded in the Reggae Reggae colours, which makes good business sense but to me personally made it hard to shake the thought that I was just about to drink a chilled pint of Jerk Chicken Sauce.

Drinking a pint of Jerk Chicken sauce might’ve actually made for a more interesting experience.

As a Ginger Beer it does exactly what it says on the bottle ‘Fiery Ginger Beer with Honey and Lime’ and yep it is a fiery ginger beer with a honey aftertaste and a lime kick, but it just doesn’t cut it for me. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what is missing, the spice level is generous the honey balances it out nicely and the lime makes for an interesting, although slightly misplaced twist. All the ingredients are there for what should be a great drink but it just doesn’t gel. I think I was just expecting something more. When a drink like this launches, with a high profile name behind it, it really needs to be something special to step out of the shadow of its branding, and sadly this drink is nothing special.

I love Levi Roots, I really do and am a big fan of his guitar playing sauce pimping ways but it seems he has taken a step too far with his move into the soft drinks market. Put some music in my glass? No thanks blud.
P.s My faith in all things Jamaican have been restored by another drink I will review later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment