Monday 11 July 2011

GUEST REVIEW

My good friend Gerry Peterson has sent me in a globe-trotting review of Fanta Stawberry. After the odd acidity of Fanta Beach have we finally stumbled onto something wonderful. Gerry will also be doing us some video reviews in the future so look out for that

un, Sea and Strawberry Fizz
If you are like me and spend a disproportionate amount of your time thinking about the UK soft drinks industry, (and who doesn’t?), then you may have noticed that there is a distinct lack of strawberry flavour soft drinks on offer. Yes there are a multitude of strawberry flavoured waters, fruit juices and milk shakes, but when it comes to carbonated beverages, proper fizzy flava, strawberry variations are few and far between.
Ive often wondered why this is and in a state of strawberry craving anger decided to set off around the globe to solve this mystery. Well actually I went on holiday, and like any self-respecting fizz fan the first stop I made after landing was the chiller cabinet in the local grocery store. Amongst the usual and the expected was something I thought I would never see, FANTA STRAWBERRY.
I couldn’t quite believe what I was seeing and before I let the joy set in I had to make sure this wasn’t a rebrand of Fanta Exotic, or the new Fanta Beach or even Fanta Red Fruits (which had apple blackberry and raspberry but no strawberry in it WTF?), thankfully it wasn’t. My search was over I had found pure, simple strawberry flavoured fizz and it should’ve been time to celebrate, but then I drank some.
Instantly I knew why there aren’t many strawberry flavoured fizzy drinks. The sweet taste of the fruit was overpowering, far too sugary and almost perfumey, and this was followed by a strange and unexpected kick from the fizz. It really was one of the most unpleasant and mismatched drinks I had ever tasted. The smoothness of the strawberry really jars with the bite of the carbonated liquid and is about as good a mash up as orange and milk. I would love to think that this variation was a lone example but each gulp only made it clearer, strawberry and fizz do not mix.
Son I am disappoint



So what's the best holiday based drink you've ever had. For me I think Dew Voltage is up there. It knocked my socks off last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment